18 April 2006

A Little Recognition for Riddle


Riddle, Oregon
Originally uploaded by Katherine H.
If you were to conduct a quick search on the internet to learn more about Riddle, Oregon, chances are, very little would come up.

At least, that was my experience. Usually I can find some small tidbit of information to inform me before arriving in a new place. My searches returned nothing but empty pages, and the southern Oregon tourism website doesn't even acknowledge its existence.

As I was leaving town yesterday, I took this photograph from my car window. And as I look at it now, I realize that it alone portrays a fairly accurate picture of Riddle.

The fact that the sign itself is carved out of wood is apropos for a town with several lumber mills. Even the small re-forested hills in the background signal what is the predominant industry in this part of Douglas county: timber. The local high school student body is known as the "Irish," hence the shamrock and green arrow. The 2006 Miss Junior Rodeo Queen, Alicia, lives here. She’s been riding horses since she was seven, and is a barrel racer. No need to note the population of about 1,000 citizens on the sign. Not much changes around here.

No comments: