27 November 2006

Happy Feet


le pidgeon
Originally uploaded by Katherine H.
There's something that comes with getting older -- you learn how to take better care of yourself. Truly, you understand that simple things can bring great pleasure, and that greater or grander or brighter and bigger are sometimes just subtle subterfuge.

So when I determined how I wanted to mark the passing of another year (yes, my birthday), my mind swiftly turned to a day in Portland. Portland has long been one of my favorite cities: a tangle of one-way streets, hills, bridges, quirky neighborhoods, and colorful people. It is large enough I can easily think of a dozen things to do, see, explore…and yet small enough to navigate in an afternoon. It is a muse for my creative mind.

I did a little window shopping, splurged on a pair of Acorn slippers with memory foam, ate at little French-inspired bistro on East Burnside, admired artwork by Rachel Austin, explored the endless light fixtures, glass globes, and doorknobs at Hippo Hardware, and enjoyed the best ginger- molasses-cocoa cookie with a hot cup of steamed soy milk flavored with almond at my favorite corner café, Crema.

The next day, when someone asked who I went to Portland with, I replied, “With me!” I’m content with my own company. Which is not to say that I don’t welcome the companionship of others -- simply that it can be a treat to enjoy a little solitude and contemplation.

And now I have very happy, toasty feet as I pad around my house.


* I will return to the Brasil travel narrative soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
...And I must follow if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way...
And whither then? I cannot say."

(JRR Tolkien, Fellowship of the Ring)

Happy birthday, dear friend, and happy trails to you!