21 March 2005

Urban Exploration: Seattle


Lock is full
Originally uploaded by Katherine H.
After two consecutive nights in my own house, I was feeling the itch to expand beyond the circuit I normally travel. In the back of my mind was the memory of alder-smoked halibut and chocolate chip cinnamon rolls, so I grabbed my duffel bag and was on the road for Seattle.

This time, I wanted to explore some of the neighborhoods beyond downtown and the waterfront. First stop, the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks in Ballard. It was interesting to watch the process of conveying boats between the salt water of the Puget Sound and the fresh water of the canal leading to Lake Union and Lake Washington.

The residential area of Fremont captured my attention in the afternoon. After popping in and out of several small shops, I stopped for some Greek food and to rest my feet before heading home.

No comments: