31 March 2005

Urban Oasis: Portland Classical Chinese Garden


Chinatown lampposts
Originally uploaded by Katherine H.
I first discovered the Classical Chinese Garden during November. Even then, it stood out as an oasis amidst all of it's concrete surroundings. I knew it would be a place to return to in all seasons.

Today I attended an event in downtown Portland on behalf of the foundation I work for. Since the weather was clear and dry, I decided to walk through Chinatown to see what was in bloom.

Inhabiting a single city block, the Ming-style Chinese Garden is an urban garden built around it's unifying center, Zither Lake. Over 500 tons of stone were shipped to Portland from Suzhou, China. One of my favorite features is the pebble mosaic courtyards and walkways which provide a visual connection throughout the garden.

No comments: