14 March 2008

An Ode To My First Digital Camera

Honeyman State Park2

March 17th will mark the 3rd anniversary of my little adventure into travel blogging. It started with my plans to visit Sicily in May 2005. The lingering lesson of my trip to Spain during 2002 was that I wished I had a digital camera!

So, I budgeted accordingly and splurged on a little Canon 520A, 4 mp, 4x optical zoom compact camera. Wow! I had never had such an expensive piece of technology in my hands. I laugh to think of it now -- because much better cameras are much cheaper these days. However, it served me well over the years and I still take it out on occasion.

The pictures in this post pay homage to its trusty service, and certainly show how much room I have to grow and learn as a photographer!

bridge

I bought the camera on my way out of town for a work trip to Florence. This was the second shot I took from the balcony of my motel room overlooking the bay. The little details like overhanging roofs and large trees blocking my focal point handn't really registered yet...

driftwood

And then there is the occasional interesting pic where you can see my artistic vision developing...but still falling a bit short.

I think what has brought me the most joy over the past three years of digital photography discovery is exploring a new medium through which to share my travels and experiences. I've learned that I am more visual than I thought I was--and while never really creative nor artistic--I certainly am developing a keener sense of design and an appreciation for others who possess those skills.

No comments: