01 September 2007

Six Pic Saturday: Salt Lake City

18 August 2007

9th East House

Alycia and I set out this morning on foot along 900 East, the first street I lived on when I moved to Salt Lake City as a new college graduate.

I lived in an attic apartment, one of four spaces created out of the house. I had a Pullman kitchen in the corner of the living room, recessed into the wall and hidden behind two metal doors. The ceiling of my bedroom followed the conical shape of the front roofline, and the only place to stand up in the shower was directly underneath the showerhead -- the rest of the tub was tucked beneath the eaves. After a year and a half, I was ready to move on to more space. But for my first solo adventure, it was a great place to start.

I was happy to see that the owners have stripped off the ugly siding to reveal the original brick, and are applying a fresh coat of paint. New windows, too!

craft market

Our second stop of the day was the Farmers' and Artisans' market at Pioneer Park. I've written about this before, but I never tire of visiting. Today's purchases followed a theme in green: zucchini, green apples, wasabi peas, and dill cottage cheese bread.

greyhounds

A popular attraction at the market: the greyhound adoption booth.

Rico Market

Alycia and I had to get our burrito fix from Rico Market. Frozen and packed for the trip home: Chicken mole (yum!), Potatoes con crema, and Black beans/rice/cheese. I also highly recommend any of their banana leaf tamales.

scarves

The afternoon found us in West Valley City to watch Heather perform along with her troupe at the 27th Annual Belly Dance Festival.

Ferragosto

True to tradition, we completed the evening with some gelato and a quick stroll through the booths at Ferragosto. A perfect Saturday in the company of good friends.

No comments: